Thursday 10 April 2008

Tipperary & Back to Waterford

Tipperary & Back to Waterford
The decision of East or West was too difficult to make so I headed North instead... I took the long road to Co. Tipperary and spent a couple of days in the small village of Clogheen surrounded in every direction by mountains... a really nice little caravan site and very cheap too. Not much really to say about those few days... really a bit of a respite after a busy week - catching up on work and taking in the scenery... The only trouble was that I had no broadband signal from the village so had to make the 25km trek to Tipperary town each day to work, but still a very nice area to be working in!


Yesterday I returned to Waterford city for the session that the folk singers in Dungarvan had suggested. It was the best night yet, everybody over here is really friendly! I arrived at the session early so bought some dinner and waited for everyone to arrive. After the first few tunes they shoved the only microphone in the bar in my face and said "will you play us a few tunes there now Simon", a sentence that only an Irishman could say without putting a question mark on the end!.. so I played a set and to my surprise seemed to be accepted into the session which ensured I never had less than half a pint of Guinness in front of me for the rest of the night! The microphone went round and round the table all night and amazingly I managed to lead a new set each time It arrived in front of me. I met some unbelievably amazing musicians and got a lot of tips on places to visit for good sessions along the west coast.


The folk singers are doing another gig in Dungarvan this weekend and will be joined by a fiddler who apparently I should meet, so I will be stopping off there again before heading into Cork on Sunday.

No comments: