Thursday 24 April 2008

Somewhere in Kerry

Somewhere in Kerry

I'm not actually entirely sure where I am right now... I left Tralee for a bit of an explore of the mountains and have ended up half way along (I think) a winding mountain pass in the middle of nowhere. Apart from the very narrow road and an occasional sheep (and my van) there is no sign of human existence to be seen in any direction.
The drive up to here had amazing views the whole way, but on a road that in places was barely narrow enough for one vehicle meant that meeting other traffic and dozens of tourist filled horse pulled carts has been interesting. On the high ground there have been steep drops just inches from the road, in the lower parts the road follows alongside streams and and the edges of loughs (lakes).



The rain is torrential, the wind is roaring through the valley like a wind tunnel, and it's now pitch dark outside. I was going to carry on until I reached a town and there search out a campsite, but because this is such a nice area I have decided to park up for the night by the side of the road... not as easy as it sounds! It took me 2hrs to find this spot. I found a few patches by the side of the road where my van would fit but most of them were on a slope; I don't mind sleeping on a slope but I do not trust the hand-brake enough to ensure that I would wake up with the same stunning panoramic views as those which I go to sleep with. eventually I found a large clearing by the side of the road, big enough for 5 or 6 vans of my size, and absolutely flat... sounds perfect?... except it came with 2 complimentary horror film style deserted and half tumbled down ghost town houses – call me chicken but with the wind howling through the half roofless rafters and nobody around for I don't know how many miles it didn't take me long to decide that I should keep on looking. A good decision because about 5 minutes further on I have found a small flat clearing, overlooking a lough, just big enough for my van and completely void of anything more spooky than a lonely wind sculpted holly tree.




My camp for the night

So, I have set up for the night and cooked dinner... I haven't used THE cookbook for a while but have had some requests for more food pictures so here is my own version of spaghetti carbonara.

I have played in a lot of music sessions since I have been in Ireland but haven't had a chance to try and practice any of the new tunes that I have recorded, so that's what I have been doing tonight... now I am off to bed and hopefully I can sleep despite the wind rocking my van so violently it feels like it will tip over!
With no internet signal out here I won't be posting this until tomorrow (which is today, or some day previous of now) so that means I have survived the night and made it through the rest of the pass without falling off... I am probably in Killarney if this road goes in the general direction that I think it does.

2 comments:

Your Friend Aaron said...

I think you're my new hero.

Simon said...

Thanks Aaron... any particular reason?

I've just realised I didn't post up that picture of you playing my fiddle in the Philip session! - I think I'll do an sum up post at the end of the trip and put it in there.